Friday, November 20, 2009

Jeans Day

Since Cara and Erica attend a Catholic school, they are required to wear a uniform to school every day. But, three Fridays a month they get to wear jeans. One Friday a month is a Spirit Jeans Day. On this day every student may wear jeans and a shirt that shows their school spirit. Another Friday a month is a regular jeans day. On this day they may wear jeans and any shirt within reason to school. Finally the third Friday is classified as a Mission Jeans Day. On this day the students may wear jeans, but they have to pay a fee. In the grade school the minimum amount is $.25 and in the high school the minimum is $1.00, but you may pay more if you wish. The money collected on a Mission Jeans Day is then given to a worthy cause. For example, this month the money is going to a family in the school to help with medical bills where the mother is battling ovarian cancer. Other examples are: a family in the community had a house fire and lost almost everything, a family that had a teenager killed in a car accident, the Red Cross, Juvenile Diabetes, etc. I love the Mission Jeans Day the best out of all of them because of the help it can provide.

Last year I was the room parent for Cara's classroom, so as a reward for bringing money to help the cause I provided a snack on that Friday for the class. Yes, I spoiled the class and most times the snack went to the whole grade. Cara's class is small at only 33 students, but I had no idea what I had started.

This year I am again the room parent for Cara's classroom. When the first Mission Jeans Day of the year rolled around in September, Cara asks me at 8:00 P.M. on Thursday night what the 3rd grade snack is for the next day. I had not planned on providing the snack this year. Cara then told me that the students in her class had asked, " What is your Mom making for snack tomorrow? Is she making brownies, cookies, or bars?". Plus these kids know that whatever the snack is I make from scratch. Therefore, I started to make brownies for the class at 8:00 P.M. because I didn't want to disappoint them. I know I brought this on myself!

Therefore in honor of today's Mission Jeans Day, Cara took homemade peanut butter cookies for the class snack.

Have a good weekend!
Michelle

4 comments:

  1. What a great bind to be in, right? You're the mom all the kids are requesting bakes for them. So many moms would LOVE to be that mom.....but either can't bake or doesn't have the time, etc. Keep doing what you're doing. It's all right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like a little bit of warning for making snacks, too funny and all too true. Obviously you make the best snacks and the kids are on to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just checking in quick from the Bloomfield library :) I think Mission Jean Day is a fabulous idea and every school should implement it! I hope Cara's class enjoyed your cookies. I am sure glad I got my request in for this weekend. Your pumpkin bars rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeans days are a great idea. Benjamin attends a private school, also. That's great that the kids love you, so much...and I am sure they do love you as well as the treats! :)
    The turkey candy basket was pretty easy. We had a great time with it. I so wish I had used a smaller basket.

    ReplyDelete