Monday, November 9, 2009

Happy 40th Birthday Sesame Street!!!




Today is the 40th Birthday for Sesame Street! Big Bird, Elmo, Oscar, Ernie, Bert, Grover, Cookie Monster and many other characters have taught children everywhere their numbers, letters and good life skills (sharing, cooperation, etc.). Just the other day on a reading questionnaire for school one of the questions was "When did you first start to read?". My answer was that I learned to read from my grandmother, my mother, and from watching Sesame Street. This show is educational, but also fun to watch. Children do not even realize that they are learning because they are so busy singing and shouting out answers.

I grew up watching Sesame Street and likewise so have my children. My older girls are amazed that I can still sing the opening song and know all of the words. They asked one day how I knew that song. I proudly told them that I watched Sesame Street when I was little and that the song hasn't change at all. They could not believe that I watched Sesame Street way back then.

My children get the pleasure of attending Sesame Street Live when they are old enough to sit through a full performance. A flyer came in the mail last week promoting the next show that is coming to our area. The girls asked if we were going, but I don't think Justin is quite ready. Although, Justin has been carrying around the flyer for days. At 2 years old, he can name all of the characters.

In closing, I know that my children watch too much television. But, when it is a quality show like Sesame Street, I don't mind at all. Best wishes on 40 great years of teaching children, Sesame Street, and I hope that you are around for many, many more years.

Take care,
Michelle

3 comments:

  1. We love Sesame Street too! Maybe we could take the older kids to Sesame Street Live and the guys could stay home with Justin and Ozzy!

    Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by at my blog. :)
    Sesame Street helped me in learning how to read ad write English. It probably also helped me understand some spanish words too. I love watching the old versions of Sesame Street. Brings back memories!

    ReplyDelete