Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Annual Physical

Yes, this morning I had my annual physical. I just dread even thinking about it each year not to mention how I feel when I get to the appointment. But, this year I didn't think it would be so bad, but I did still NOT want to go. I HATE stepping on the scale at the doctor's office. Why does the scale at the doctor's office never read what the scale at home reads? Well, this year I knew I would be okay in that department since I have lost weight. Next step at the appointment was measuring how tall I am. Still the same in that area. Onward to the room for blood pressure and cholesterol screening. My blood pressure is always normal to low and that was the same.

Then on to the part I was dreading, the cholesterol screen. Last year, my cholesterol number was not where it was supposed to be. It was not considered high, just higher than what it was supposed to be. I was optimistic because I have lost weight, I have been exercising, and I have been watching what I eat. After my exam, the doctor comes back into the room to give me my cholesterol results and my overall number was HIGHER than last year. I could not believe it!!! He said that I should not be concerned because I am doing what I am supposed to be doing and that my problem is probably due to heredity. Total bummer!

But back to my weight, the scale is at a standstill and is not moving again. I am down about 15 pounds, but I need something to jump start the weight loss again. Since today is Ash Wednesday and I am Catholic, I have decided to give up sweets - meaning no candy, cookies, bars, pie, cake, etc. Hopefully eating less processed sugar and flour will get me going again. I have been watching my sweet intake, but maybe if I take it totally away the scale will move again. This is a huge sacrifice for me because I LOVE sweets. I will just have to get my sugar fix from eating fruit. I am not going to give up soda. I know soda is a sweet, but my consumption is down to about 1 or 2 cans of Diet Pepsi per week, which I don't think is too bad.

I am also trying to figure out how to change up my exercise routine to shock my body into losing more weight. Not quite sure what to do about this yet. I may have to try some other group classes at the YMCA. Any suggestions?

Take care,
Michelle

5 comments:

  1. Good luck on givng up the sweets. Hopefully this will help jumpstart things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your cholesterol. That really stinks, especially when you are excercising and eating right!

    I am giving up pop for Lent, and I already miss it!

    Have you tried spinning classes? They rave about them here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have my physical next week..... I need one to renew our adoption paperwork....and I DREAD the scale...... Somehow it is never easy to see that number staring you down!!

    I also am giving up all sweets for Lent.....it is going to be rough, but once I get through the first week, I am usually good to go.

    Lots of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in the same boat, weight and cholesertol. I am gave up pop and chocolate and vowing to eat better in general.

    I agree with Jodee, try spinning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also trying to eat better and exercise more! You're doing everything right, that scale will start moving again!

    Janet

    ReplyDelete