Thursday, September 19, 2013

Homemade Applesauce

Last Sunday, Justin and I went to the farm to pick some apples.  Justin picked up apples off the ground and fed them to the horses.  My Dad lifted my Mom and I up in the bucket part of the loader to pick apples up high in the tree.  It seemed like the biggest apples were toward the top of the tree.  I took home a 5-gallon bucket of apples to turn into something.
This bucket was full of apples when I started.
 I decided that first I would make applesauce.  I found a recipe online for crock pot applesauce that you can either can or freeze and went with it.  Yesterday morning I started peeling and thinly slicing apples to make the applesauce.
All the apples peeled and sliced in the roaster.
 The recipe required 4 lbs. of apples, 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup of sugar.  I do not like my applesauce very sweet and I wasn't sure how sweet or tart the apples were, but I only added 1/4 cup of sugar to my applesauce.  I ended up taking the recipe times 4 to almost use up my 5-gallon bucket of apples.  Also, instead of using a crock pot to cook my apples since I had so many, I used my big electric roaster.
This morning after cooking my apples for 24 hours, I pureed them with a hand-held blender.  I don't like chunks in my applesauce.   Last, I put the applesauce in jars and then canned them in a hot-water bath for 20 minutes.  The result was 10 pints of homemade applesauce.  Now let's hope all the jars seal.

Next, I think I will make apple butter or pie filling.  Maybe tomorrow after school we can go pick another big bucket of apples.  Also, I did make a apple crisp with my apples.

Take care,
Michelle

3 comments:

  1. Oh my word -- you are making me so hungry! Apple crisp?!! Yum! I hope your sweet family appreciates you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had a few dozen pomegranates. Wish I knew what to do with them! This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! Kamree would kill to have that applesauce for her school lunches! Enjoy all of your yummy canned goods! I am sooo jealous of your domestic bones!

    ReplyDelete