Thursday, September 30, 2010

Shoot Me! 32 of 52

Today I didn't have to work because all the teachers had to attend an archdiocese conference in Omaha. Therefore, the kids and I spend the morning at my parents' house. The kids played and picked pumpkins while I completed a project that has been sitting in my closet unfinished for months. I finally completed new slipcover pillows for the couch. I am not a sewer by any means, but this sewing project was so easy plus my Mom helped me.

I have been slipping on posting and participating in Carin's Shoot Me challenge, but I am back blogging. Today is your chance to post a photo of yourself alone or with someone. Too often, I am not in any photos because I am the one taking the photo.

Forever In Blue Jeans


The first step of the project was to cut out a square of fabric that was one inch larger than your filler pillow. My filler pillow was 16 x 16 so the front square of fabric was 17 x 17. Then my Mom cut out two pieces of fabric 12 x 17 for the back panel.

Then I hemmed the overlapping back pieces with a 1/4 inch seam. Then I sewed the front and back panels together, snipped the corners, and put the filler pillows into the slip covers.

The two completed pillows are now sitting on my living room couch. I now can throw away my old pillows that look gross and needed to be replaced.

Take care,
Michelle

5 comments:

  1. Way to go! I am sooooo jealous! Can you help me make some Halloween pillows?!

    P.S. I am really itching to get to IKEA! Do I dare go while the boys are in San Diego for fall break?! Kamree is not a good roadtripper whatsoever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love, love, love to know how to sew. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not the best sewer by any means, but this project only required a few straight seams. You can also make these without sewing by using hem bonding tape and an iron. You can iron the seams without sewing at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! I don't think you're behind (then again, I'm only at 28!!!). I loving sewing, even thought I'm not very good at it yet. Great that you had someone to help with the kids so you had family time and productive time all at once!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you on making those pillows! I have a new (well, new to me, actually used) embroidery machine that I want to get going on, but been too busy and too worn out to do so . . .yet! Hope you have a great weekend.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete